Friday, July 9, 2010

Of Reading Body Language: A Beginning Observation

When in the employment which serves the general public, it is always good to be aware of others body language. This useful tool will help enhance your skills with dealing with difficult or stubborn customers.

Today, as I began to show a customer, anonymous of course, around the hotel, I noticed his silence and unwillingness to follow my lead. What does that tell you?

It tells me, the observer, that the customer will come down later to look and wants to go up to their room. And seeing as I was following the language of the customer, I complied. He seemed most pleased, and did come down in a better mood (and new room, but that is another story). I then showed him around the hotel, pointing out items and information I could not do before.

Although I felt I had accomplished a successful body language read, my employer did not share my enthusiasm. My employer was shocked and disappointed at my apparent unwillingness to make the customer follow my walkthrough.

So, as a beginning observationist into body language, I succeeded where the customer was concerned. However, I failed at complying to my employers demands. Which could lead into another discussion of:

“Who is really always correct: Your Employer or Your Customer?”

So, should any readers like to discuss, what is your take? Should people pay attention to customer’s body language and comply, or go by what your employer has demanded?

Until then, have a great day and enjoy the weather!

2 comments:

  1. I would go by the saying "the customer is always right" to a degree. I mean, you didn't want to annoy said person anymore as it was obvious they wanted to go up to their room. If your employer really cared, I would think they would agree with this situation...that could just be my opinion tho. I think you did the right thing! You can't please everyone unfortunately and yes it makes it much more tough when it's your boss :S I still think you did the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand the point of view of the owner, and I did not add anything about all that went down because it would not be fair to hear just my side of the story. But I still feel in the right that I did the correct thing for the customer.
    Oh well, hopefully it will stay in the past!

    ReplyDelete