Friday, May 7, 2010

The Garden: May 7, 2010

Today's weather has been very interesting: sunny, cloudy, rainy and then sunny again. As of two days ago, I have been getting up in the mornings with my mother and Chewie to walk/jog around our property for exercise so I have been quite sore as of late. Today started off this way, but instead of jogging I just walked with my mother. We talked about her having to take in my Grandmother for another checkup, about my dog's side-ways running, and about this weird May weather.
After she left, I had really nothing to do other than watch Supernatural (on at my house at 8am - which is when we come in from our walk) and drink coffee. I thought about updating my blog for the first time in May and what I should write about. Also, I finally was able to check out The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from the public library, so I have been reading that. All in all, a slow day.
Then, around 2 pm I got a call from my mother that my grandmother was back in the hospital in Leavenworth. Coming back from Wenatchee, she was not feeling very well so, just as a precaution they stopped at the hospital. My mother called me to bring down some more clothes for her. And then I had the unpleasant experience of telling my uncle and grandfather that grandma was in the hospital.
I never want to do that again.

So, I am hoping that today ends sunny, as I have already gone through cloudy and rainy.

Here are some pictures of the garden:
Around the pea starts you will notice a toilet paper roll, whic
h has been cut in half and shoved into the ground. This is for if the cutworms get the plants. Cutworms are garden killers and should be completely and utterly destroyed if you find any in your garden! As they eat the roots of the plants, you can try to stop them by using the toilet paper roll method or use diotomaceous earth, sprinkled around the plant after the soil is dry. Other than that, you have to dig around each plant and pick the little suckers out of the soil.






UPDATE: After some bladder procedure, Grandma is back home. Apparently she was allergic to whatever medication they gave her. You would think, with a medical degree, a doctor would have figured that out sooner!

2 comments:

  1. I hope your grandma is doing better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, she seems to be doing much better today, just very tired. It's funny because she has been healthy for so long, it seems to be one of those times where everything hits at once! Hopefully this will be the last time!

    ReplyDelete