Monday, May 24, 2010

The destination does not matter as much as the journey


(Picture 1:http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/659/372/2010/05/24/52222_lost.jpg)

The finale of Lost, for me, was amazingly beautiful and symmetrical. It ended where the show began. People were reunited with loved ones that we had not seen since the beginning. It made me cry in happiness and sorrow for two and half hours. For six years, I have watched this incredible, frustrating, confusing show. And now it’s over.

Done.

It is, in the literal sense, the end.

I feel like I have grown up with these characters. Six years ago, I was a senior in high school, just getting ready to graduate. And although I did not watch the show at first, and periodically stopped watching the show, it always pulled me back in. And now that it is over, I feel like I have lost a constant companion. Outside of the confusing story plots, mysteries that have never been solved, it was always about the people on the island. Their stories are why I watched the show.

And now that everything is over, I feel lost. I did not realize how much the end of a TV show, a TV SHOW, would affect me. Hours later I still feel sad about the show ending. It ended beautifully. There was, in truth, only one way to end a show like this. Maybe some feel cheated, but I feel that the end was the best.

For people who have never watched Lost: Rarely does a new concept for a show appear on TV, especially now. With all the remakes of shows and movies, Lost sets itself apart. Start from the beginning, and never skip an episode; you will miss something if you do. Lost was about a plane crash; the survivors had to learn to live on an island. But, in truth, it is about so much more. It is about people, and their relationships. It is about having faith and believing. Lost is a journey. The destination does not matter as much as the journey.

So, as Rose put it in the sixth season, episode one:

“It’s ok. You can let go.”

Thank you Lost. I never knew how much I actually cared for this show, until it finally ended. For the longest time, my favorite TV finale was when Grey’s Anatomy Denny died, but now, I have a feeling that it has been replaced. Thank you for the six years of quality mystery, heartbreak, and happiness.

“Remember. Move on. I will miss it more than I can ever say.”

~Damon Lindelof, co-creater of Lost, and his last words about Lost.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I really like the way you described this!! I have to agree about everything, I can't believe how much has happened in 6 years. It seems so strange that the show is actually over, although they still left a little hanging. The end was very sad but nicely done.

    P.S. just posted about my trip!

    ReplyDelete